Penny Parker Klostermann is the author of There Was an Old Dragon Who Swallowed a Knight and A Cooked-Up Fairy Tale, both from Random House Children’s Books. She loves all kinds of books, but especially loves very silly picture books that make her laugh. She has been known to hug her favorite picture books and seriously hopes that someday her books will gain huggable status too.
Penny is a member of SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators). She was named the 2012 Barbara Karlin Grant Runner-up. She is represented by Tricia Lawrence of the Erin Murphy Literary Agency.
Penny grew up in Colorado and now lives in Abilene, Texas-the Storybook Capital of Texas!
Below you will find Penny as a Kid, 2¢ About Penny, and Penny in Poems.
Penny as a Kid
She knew how to party!
She loved her sisters . . .
She wasn’t always cheerful.
She must have loved the smell of socks!
2¢ About Penny
- As a child, Penny fell backwards from a two-story window.
- Penny can still stand on her head.
- Penny was once stung on the lip by a bee. Ouch!
- One day Penny’s sister was cutting Penny’s bangs. Her sister flippantly snapped the scissors in front of Penny’s face. She accidentally trimmed the tip of Penny’s nose that day, as well as her bangs. Ouch #2!
- Penny broke her arm in fourth grade while pretending that she was a Olympic ice skater. And that makes #3!
- Penny’s dad was her principal in school.
- Penny loves to trout fish. She loves the whole experience, but digging the earthworms for bait may be her favorite part.
- When Penny was young, she wanted to live in a trampoline house.
Penny in Poems
Penny: A Rare Collection
Coined in nineteen fifty-five
pretty Penny—cooing live.
Certificate, inscribed with pen,
christened tiny Penny Len.
Penny Wise: Note From Parents
Penny, life will be a surprise
but we have prepared you
and you are wise.
So when the penny drops,
and it will,
just pause and ponder,
reflect and refill…
rolling through life can be dull and grimy—
but love can restore to bright and shiny.
Lucky Penny has sisters—three
Tris Cean, Cari Dee, Janna Lee.
A Penny Found
My husband is adept…
and knows a Penny found is a Penny kept.
My son— not just a chapter, but a book—
a rare coin in a mom’s heart-nook
A Penny For Your Thoughts
Ask this Penny for her thoughts
you’ll get whimsical, quirky jots!
Life’s journey—a coin toss
win, loss, win, loss.
Tails, heads—heads, tails
attitude is what prevails.
In God I Trust
In God I Trust
a lifetime must!
A Penny on a Railroad Track
A Penny placed on life’s railroad track—
becomes a valued treasure—always taken back!
If you’d like to receive an occasional update about There Was an Old Dragon Who Swallowed a Knight and subsequent books, please sign up HERE for my e-mail newsletter.
(You must be 13 or older to sign up–if you are under 13, please ask a parent or guardian to sign up instead.) Thanks!
Your information is private. I will never share or sell my list.